OpenSecurity.global
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

John Carroll

Setups / Rigs

1 minute ago, John Carroll said:

I see you are a slack user also - what laptop ? 

slack is for demisto+cybersponse+971sec+bllodhound

the laptop is KSA stock so has an arabic keyboard, good job I know a few UK keyboard layouts and a few ALT combos 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, james mckinlay said:

slack is for demisto+cybersponse+971sec+bllodhound

the laptop is KSA stock so has an arabic keyboard, good job I know a few UK keyboard layouts and a few ALT combos 

I do like a big fat enter key... or i mean, my pinky does. dude 64gig ! my desktop doesnt even have that, save some for the rest of us geez

At work I've just been upgraded from a laptop running 32-bit Windows 7 with 4gb of RAM (3gb usable due to 32-bit).  I've now got 8gb of RAM, ooooo.  At home I have a Chromebook with 2gb of RAM and a gaming PC built in 2011 with an AMD processor from when AMD were more terrible than they are now.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kevin Beaumont said:

At work I've just been upgraded from a laptop running 32-bit Windows 7 with 4gb of RAM (3gb usable due to 32-bit).  I've now got 8gb of RAM, ooooo.  At home I have a Chromebook with 2gb of RAM and a gaming PC built in 2011 with an AMD processor from when AMD were more terrible than they are now.

Very Artisinal @Kevin Beaumont  ! 

For most of the stuff I do, the physical kit I use is this:

• 16Gb 2014 Macbook Pro with Mojave and VMs in the streets.
  • 6Gb Modded Thinkpad X230 running OpenBSD in the sheets.

I have a bunch of systems running a mix of stuff at home from a Windows 10 box mostly used for GTA and hardware design to an Amiga 4000 running OS3.9.

I tend to allocate kit for specific functions and compartmentalise, so I have a lot of kit floating around. I also have a bunch of physical boxes in datacentres for when I want to do heavy lifting. Not a big fan of using cloud platforms unless I need large scale compute capabilities for short periods.

• Like 1

I have an array of systems. My work one is surprisingly not worth talking about; Win 10, 8GB Thinkpad.

Other than my gaming system and my ESX box (Intel Nuc), all of my stuff was either free or charity-purchased from decomissioned stock at the places I've worked. My main laptop is a Thinkpad X230 with 16GB RAM and an SSD. I make it look sexier than normal with a Mobile Pixels attachable second monitor. The X230 has a fairly small screen for today's standards, so the second monitor really helps me get further value out of a relatively excellent laptop.

One of these days I need to get my wiki back up and keep track of my parts/pieces/systems again...  "some day..."

• Like 1

My work one is Win10 w/ 32gb of ram and an i7 processor. For CTFs / Training, I have an older MBP (2015?) with 16gb of ram with Mojave on it. I'm also slowing migrating my home lab to AWS. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mark Parry said:

My work one is Win10 w/ 32gb of ram and an i7 processor. For CTFs / Training, I have an older MBP (2015?) with 16gb of ram with Mojave on it. I'm also slowing migrating my home lab to AWS. 

Using AWS more extensively like that is definitely tempting me as well. I doubt I'll get away from using my home lab entirely, but it still has that old feel where if you screw something up, you're spending x days to rebuild. At least with virualization, you don't rebuild your host *that* often like the days before virtualization where you're reformatting disks and setting up dual boots again and waiting and waiting and waiting...  Infrastructure as code has its benefits when your time in life is precious.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Michael D said:

Using AWS more extensively like that is definitely tempting me as well. I doubt I'll get away from using my home lab entirely, but it still has that old feel where if you screw something up, you're spending x days to rebuild. At least with virualization, you don't rebuild your host *that* often like the days before virtualization where you're reformatting disks and setting up dual boots again and waiting and waiting and waiting...  Infrastructure as code has its benefits when your time in life is precious.

Totally agree. So much easier to just blow away the instance and regenerate it when you botch something. Which one can do with their own hardware, but it needs to be upgraded/maintained and generally consumes a lot of electricity. I'm still crunching numbers but I think, for me, it's going to be cheaper in the long run.

45 minutes ago, Michael D said:

packer + ansible + git = build as you like it anywhere any time , right everytime - works frothe CIA https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_11628788.html

Edited by james mckinlay
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, james mckinlay said:

packer + ansible + git = build as you like it anywhere any time , right everytime 

I'd not heard of Packer before. I'm definitely going to play with that!!

For work;

• Daily driver: Dell Latitude 5260 2-in-1 w/ 8GB DDR4 & i5-8350U, running Win 10 SOE. Not a standout in performance but nice and portable.
  • Shady business: Dell Precision 7520 w/ 32GB DDR4  i7-6820HQ & Radeon Pro WX 4150, running vanilla Win 10. This thing weighs a ton, but it's great for running a ton of VMs. Also added in an extra 1TB 7200rpm HDD for said VMs.

For play;

• A vintage gaming rig: i7-2700k, 16GB DDR3, GTX690. GPU & CPU are water-cooled in separate loops. Down to ~600GB storage now after one of the raptors died fairly recently. I haven't the spare cash to give it the retirement it deserves, so it continues to valiantly struggle on.
Edited by Lachlan Hillam

Home computers

• Gaming build is a Core I7 with 16GB of RAM
  • There's a few laptops... ranging between 4 and 8GB of RAM
  • The media center is Intel Atom d2550 with 4GB of RAM
  • The workstation has 4 x Intel Xeon 6 core CPUs,  96GB of RAM and a bunch of SSDs

Work Computers

• All laptops... I have 4 at the moment... 
    • Lenovo P51 with a Core I7 (desktop CPU), 32GB of RAM and 2 SSDs
    • Dell Core I7 (8th gen) with 32Gb
    • Dell Core I7 (9th gen) with 32Gb
    • Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga with 16GB of RAM

Here is mine:

• Gaming/Dev/etc: build is a Core I7 with 64GB RAM bunch of SSDs
  • iMac - its an old one but 16gb ram and ssd (upgraded)
  • Old macbook 17" but its dead at the moment and need to figure out why
  • macbook 15" - the generation before the bad keyboard. Fully loaded 32gb, 500gb HD

My main activities are however on a Google Pixelbook 8gb RAM 250gb HD. If i need something more powerful, i hit up the above or better yet spin up some AWS instances

If you are hesitant to go to the cloud for your home lab due to cost or what ever your reason might be, take a look at proxmox (https://www.proxmox.com/en/).   Its free unless you want support and I've got over a dozen VMs running (mix of Win and Nix, Server and WS) on a small form factor desktop with 64gb ram, i7 proc and 2tb of nve disk.   Its pretty darn zippy too.  I will also mention that my VMs are not starved either.....running multi-core procs with 8gb of ram or higher and 100-200gb of disk.

• Like 1

Or VirtualBox. 

OpenSecurity runs on a single server with 2gb of RAM btw and a crap processor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jason Lange said:

If you are hesitant to go to the cloud for your home lab due to cost or what ever your reason might be, take a look at proxmox (https://www.proxmox.com/en/).   Its free unless you want support and I've got over a dozen VMs running (mix of Win and Nix, Server and WS) on a small form factor desktop with 64gb ram, i7 proc and 2tb of nve disk.   Its pretty darn zippy too.  I will also mention that my VMs are not starved either.....running multi-core procs with 8gb of ram or higher and 100-200gb of disk.

+1 For Proxmox. I've recently moved off proxmox to running docker on one of my systems and am making far better use of resources, but I still use it elsewhere, most notably on a NUC for a Torified malware lab.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:35 AM, John Carroll said:

Come on, let's have it. 

2010 Macbook Pro with 8 GB RAM. That's the main machine. Lots of miscellanous other laptops for playing around. My experimental stuff is in a custom case with spare hard drives.

I love the way we’ve come full circle, to the point where people brag about how disappointing their rigs are. Although, I did just put an SSD in my mid-2010 MacBook Pro and follow a 2-stage install path from Lion to High Sierra via El Captain (yes, that does sound like the plot to the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie). 

• Like 1

Primary machine is an ASRock 300-whatever micro-PC, with a Ryzen 2400G, 32 gigs of ram, and a bunch of disks in it. Pretty solid little machine for what it is, doesn't hurt that I run Arch with Openbox on it instead of a full-blown DE. I've got a bunch of other machines around the house, including some Pine64 machines, a gen 6 Proliant, and some other SBC devices, along with a huge pile of laptops that I avoid (except for the Pinebook)

Work: Dell Precision 7000 series laptop with Xeon processor, 64GB of Ram, 2TB in drive space. Running Artix Linux and a ton of VM’s on top of it.

Home:  Acer Predator Helios 500 laptop with Ryzen 7 2700x desktop CPU, 64GB of Ram, 1.5TB of storage.  Running Artix Linux and a ton more VM’s.

Kali Box: MSI Phantom 14, i7, 32GB Ram, 500 GB storage.

Edited by Ben Fallon

Desktop

• Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz
  • MSI Gaming X 1070 8 GB
  • Corsair 16 GB DDR4 @ 3200 MHz
  • Samsung EVO 256 GB SSD
  • Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD
  • CoolerMaster G50M 80+ 650W
  • BENQ Zowie XL2411 24" 144hz 1ms Monitor (Horizontal)
  • Dell P2417H 24" 60hz Monitor (Vertical)
  • ThermalTake Commando Keyboard and Mouse

Laptop: Lenovo L570

• Intel i7 7500U @ 2.7Ghz
  • Intel HD 620
  • 8 GB DDR4 RAM
  • 256 GB SSD

I've been quite happy with my setup. I usually do my infosec stuff on my laptop while doing blogging, research etc on my desktop. My desktop is mainly built for gaming but that vertical monitor I got a year ago allows me to work on programming more efficently. I'd love a 3 monitor setup with better specs but the USD/TRY conversion rate is a bane of my existence. Maybe once I get a job, I'll upgrade it, but right now my desktop is 2 years old and gets the job done quite well.