OpenSecurity.global
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Alan Coo

Mac AV / endpoint protection

Question

Hi folks.

I've just been asked for AV recommendations for a friend's new Macbook and I'll be honest, I know jeff all about Macs.

Is conventional wisdom still "don't bother" or are there any actual realistic threats in the fruit-based world these days?  And if so, what would people suggest?

Thanks in advance, card's behind the bar.

Alan.

4 answers to this question

For my son’s MBP, I have Bitdefender for OSX installed and he sets the thing off all the time because he’s a tinkerer and spends a lot of time trying to download things from questionable locations.  The web shield (browser add on) does a pretty good job at keeping him safe as he blindly clicks all google search results.  Mac malware, while not as prevalent as windows malware, does exist and personally I’d rather err on the side of caution.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/mac-viruses-list-3668354/

Corporate-wise and next-gen rather than trad sig based AV, then I have a LOT of love for CrowdStrike at the moment. Obviously not an option for ad-hoc home users though. 

On 9/22/2019 at 11:56 AM, Alan Coo said:

Hi folks.

I've just been asked for AV recommendations for a friend's new Macbook and I'll be honest, I know jeff all about Macs.

Is conventional wisdom still "don't bother" or are there any actual realistic threats in the fruit-based world these days?  And if so, what would people suggest?

Thanks in advance, card's behind the bar.

Alan.

I use Malwarebytes for my Mac and it does not seem to cause any problems. I used to think, no it doesn't need it until I scanned it and found some adware.